Commercial Manager Jouleco
Job Title: Commercial Manager
Reports To: the Jouleco Board
Contract Type: Fixed Term Contract, Part Time (~20 hours a week)
Contract Duration: 6 months initially with potential to extend
Location: Flexible within Ireland
Estimated Salary: €50,000 – €60,000 pro rata per annum (DOE) plus equity potential*
* Potential to earn equity: upon commencement of the contract, clear tangible goals will be set out to be achieved within the initial 6-month contract. The achievement of these outcomes can lead to a vesting of equity in the Company. Details of this equity opportunity will be finalised on commencement of the contract and agreement of the goals.
Targeted Start Date: 1st February 2018
Jouleco is a customer facing online platform which connects energy stakeholders, including BER Assessors, Homeowners, Grant & Finance providers and contractors, and cultivates an active community based around improving home energy efficiency. The concept of Jouleco came about as a result of a Small Business Innovation Research (SBIR) competition run by Sustainable Energy Authority of Ireland (SEAI) together with Enterprise Ireland.
Elm Solutions, an IT Services and Products company based out of Dublin, Ireland were the successful winners of the SBIR competition and now have the opportunity to build and commercialise this online platform for energy stakeholders. Jouleco will be a separate corporate entity to Elm Solutions and will be a funded-start up for the first six months with a view to Jouleco generating sufficient revenue to support itself thereafter.
About the Role: Summary & Main Purpose
As the Commercial Manager, you will initiate and oversee the successful creation and launch of the Jouleco platform to the Irish market. The role will require you to research the energy market to understand customer behaviour and desires around home upgrades and work with a product development team to provide an online platform that can support these customers in investing in home upgrades, using the Jouleco platform.
A go-to market plan to support the launch of the platform and the attraction and retention of registered users to the platform will need to be devised and presented to the Board of Directors for approval and implementation.
The successful candidate will be required to establish relationships and connections with potential sales partners across the energy sector and work to use these relationships to enable the Jouleco Board of Directors and team of advisors to pitch the concept of Jouleco to these potential partners.
This role is an excellent opportunity for someone who is entrepreneurial and wants to play a key role in taking an idea from a concept to market. The successful candidate will be supported by a number of key advisors but will have autonomy to operate across a number of areas such as product development, sales, marketing and finance. We are looking for someone who can make a real impact from the start. You will need to have the drive, commitment and perseverance to take on the role.
- Definition of strategic objectives for Jouleco based on solid market research and strategy.
- Plan the launch of Jouleco and manage the cross-functional implementation of the plan.
- Develop the strategy and marketing programmes that will drive demand for Jouleco, then subsequently measure the effectiveness of the marketing campaigns.
- Creation of product propositions, product specific marketing materials and translating product management documentation into content for consumption across marketing and sales teams.
- Provide strong leadership and direction to the product development team.
- Planning and organising of sales opportunities through creation and development of relationships in the energy sector with key stakeholders.
- Manage budgets and deliver P&L and KPI targets within agreed timeframes.
- Work with external legal team to agree commercial contracts and terms and conditions of the Jouleco product.
- Once Jouleco is generating sufficient revenue to support itself, the successful candidate will be responsible for building a team with the budget available to them to scale the platform.
- Be the face of the company in the market, dealing with any publicity and press that may come as a result of the product launch.
- Report regularly to the Board of Directors on progress against defined targets.
Indicators of Success:
- The ultimate objective associated with this role will be to bring the Jouleco concept to the point that it can be successfully launched onto the Irish market.
- A range of success criteria will be associated with this launch and these will be formalised in the first few weeks of this role.
- All areas of the Jouleco Product that you have responsibility for are clearly scoped by you, delivery plans are created by you and an approach to successful delivery is created by you.
- All areas of work that you have responsibility for are delivered on time, within budget and meet their objectives.
- Complete ownership of certain areas will be assigned and it will be the successful candidates’ responsibility to plan, manage and deliver this work from start to finish.
- The successful candidate will be given ownership of a number of key areas including product research, marketing, sales and finance and will be expected to work autonomously across these areas and present outcomes, solutions and recommendations to leadership and then work to progress the agreed solution through to completion.
- Ensuring regular communication (both internally and externally) and visibility of how work is progressing is essential.
- Complete visibility and understanding of the status of all work that is within the Commercial Manager’s scope of work and being able give an update on this on request is essential.
What this role requires:
- Ability to take a concept and create a product that can deliver on that concept and the associated success criteria for that product (i.e. generated revenue, number of users etc.).
- Ability to manage and report on a set budget against desired outcomes and prioritise spend based on expected value and return on investment.
- Capable of creating a marketing plan that can support the successful launch of the product ensuring required uptake numbers are specific, measurable, achievable, realistic and time-bound, (i.e. SMART).
- Ability to create relationships with key stakeholders in the energy market and to work with these stakeholders and the Jouleco team to bring about sales partnership opportunities.
- Demonstrably effective at providing timely, concise, audience-appropriate information orally and in writing.
- Enthusiastic and positive – ‘can do’ attitude
- Self-starter and can work off own initiative
- Strong communicator
- Highly innovative
- Highly attentive to detail and quality of output
- Good sense of judgement
- Driven by a desire to make improvements
Relevant Experience: Required
- Background in product design or marketing
- Obsession with amazing user experience and product design
- Ability to deliver with minimal oversight
- Experience in setting and managing budgets as well as a P&L
Relevant Experience: Desired
- Experience in a start-up is a distinct advantage
- Knowledge of the energy sector or disrupting traditionally stoic sectors is an advantage
- Knowledge of the supports available to start-up businesses is an advantage (e.g. EI, LEO, Accelerators, etc.)
- Experience in sourcing, hiring and managing a team of high performers is an advantage
- Candidates that demonstrate a hunger for social causes and an absolute drive to scale a start-up internationally are desired.
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, please submit your CV and a cover letter clearly highlighting why you feel this role is your next adventure to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The closing date for applications is 12 noon on Wednesday, 18th January.
Elm Solutions is an equal opportunity employer.