Prometheus is a fast growing open-source monitoring project used by thousands of companies around the world. Given the growth in both the project and our company, Robust Perception is looking to hire a full-time employee as a Prometheus Evangelist in our Dublin offices.
Are you someone who loves explaining technology and helping others? Do you want to contribute to open-source? Do you like working on infrastructure? Can you pick up new technologies quickly?
This may be the job for you. You will regularly engage with and assist people who are looking to use Prometheus to monitor a wide range of technologies. As we are a small company there is scope for defining your own work, however you should expect to achieve the following in your first year:
- 1 month: You have basic familiarity with Prometheus, can answer basic questions by users, and you are starting to make small changes to Prometheus itself
- 3 months: You are writing a blog post a month, answering questions by users, and a regular contributor to the Prometheus codebase/docs
- 6 months: Writing a few blog posts a month, engaging with the user community daily, answering most user questions, starting to develop training materials, and contributing to project itself
- 12 months: You are well-known within the community, able to answer the majority of user questions around Prometheus, starting to provide advice/consulting for non-standard scenarios, contributing to the project, and giving public talks
Robust Perception is the world’s leading company dedicated to the Prometheus monitoring system, with customers from startups to Fortune 500s. We are known for our expertise and contributions to Prometheus, our weekly blog posts, and are behind the Prometheus: Up&Running book which is coming out later this year. Our offices are based in the GEC in Dublin 8, near Thomas Street.
- Research and write blog posts and other material about Prometheus
- Promote both Prometheus and the company via community engagement
- Collaborate with the open-source Prometheus community to develop it and its ecosystem
- Develop the company’s online training courses
- Provide consulting and support to our customers
- Good written communication skills
- Can debug code/systems problems
- Can program in at least one language (e.g. Go)
- Bachelor’s degree in a Computing-related subject, or equivalent experience
As this is a mid-level position it is expected that you will only some of the items “Nice to have” listed below, so don’t let it scare you away from applying. Part of the job is gaining those skills which you don’t already have.
Nice to have:
- Contributions to an open source project
- Experience with Go, Java, Python, Ruby, Elm and/or React
- Experience with monitoring systems, particularly Prometheus
- Experience with technologies such as AWS, GCE, Azure, Kubernetes, Docker, MySQL, PostgreSQL, Apache, Nginx, Kafka, Cassandra, Redis, Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt etc.
- Experience with tools such as git, Jenkins, CircleCI and Travis CI
- Working knowledge of Unix/Linux internals, such as virtual memory, processes, filesystems, syscalls, dynamic vs static linking, ulimits, containers/namespaces
- Working knowledge of networking, such as TCP, IP, firewalls, NAT, SSL, HTTP
- Can debug using tools such as strace, top, iostat, df, du, ldd, ping, traceroute
- Shell scripting and other sysadminny skills
- Experience writing user documentation
- Comfortable giving presentations locally and/or internationally
- Customer service experience
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status.
Please send CVs with cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org