Senior Software Developer (Amsterdam)
At Booking.com we combine the best traits of a start-up with the resources of planet Earth’s #1 accommodation website. We are working towards creating the ultimate travel experience, building and improving great products for both travellers and the accommodation partners.
We are not afraid to experiment, think big or aim high!
Based in the beautiful city of Amsterdam, our technology department is over 1500 strong.
We believe that diversity makes us stronger – with over 60 different nationalities in the technology department alone, you will be able to absorb new skills and develop your career in a multicultural environment.
As well as working independently, you will also be responsible for making technical decisions within a team and across teams/sub-departments. Our development strategy is agile and we work in small Scrum teams of 5-7. We do several code rollouts every day, are data-driven and do extensive A/B testing on both user and partner facing platforms.
- 50% coding, 50% working with developers
- Take initiative to address the larger technical needs of the product you work on
- Focus on moving the business forward, be pragmatic about technology choices
- Always keep the customer at the center of everything you do
- Have a keen interest in the business, not just any given technical problem
- Lead initiatives for improvement of development processes and business opportunities for your team’s product and the company as a whole by impacting multiple products across the business.
- Identify, foster, and proactively help colleagues to grow professionally, taking a significant role in onboarding new team members
- Contribute to the growth of Booking.com through interviewing or other recruitment efforts
- Represent Booking.com values, both in the company and in the external community
- Advocate a collaborative working environment – make “my ideas” into “our ideas”
- Lead, manage and resolve technical or design discussions or conflicts
- 7+ years of experience as a software developer
- Thought leader (leader in the field of own expertise)
- Strong and demonstrable programming skill, using 2+ server-side programming languages
- 1+ years of experience mentoring, coaching and training newer and less experienced team members
- Excellent communication, influencing, and stakeholder management
- Experience working on products that impact large numbers of customers
- Experience with distributed systems
- Ability to drive technical, business and people related initiatives that improve productivity, performance and quality
- Proven ability and willingness to continue learning
- Self-starter, self-motivated, collaborative, with “can do” attitude
- Living and working in Amsterdam, one of the most cosmopolitan cities in Europe
- Contributing to a high scale, complex, world-renowned product and seeing real-time impact of your work on millions of travellers worldwide
- Working in a fast-paced and performance-driven culture
- Opportunity to utilize technical expertise, leadership capabilities and entrepreneurial spirit
- Promote and drive impactful and innovative engineering solutions
- Technical, behavioural and interpersonal competence advancement via on-the-job opportunities, experimental projects, hackathons, conferences and active community participation
- Competitive compensation and benefits package and some great added perks of working in the home city of Booking.com
Working at Booking.com
- Blog post from one of our Data Scientist’s about what it’s like to work at Booking.com
- Latest post from our Core Infrastructure Blog
- Video on working at Booking.com
We are also hiring iOS, Android, Frontend, Full Stack and Java Developers as well as Team Leads, Site Reliability Engineers and Product focused roles.
This position is open to worldwide candidates and, in the case of relocation, we will assist you with a generous relocation package, ensuring a smooth transition to working and living in Amsterdam. We have successfully relocated 300+ Technology professionals to Amsterdam in the last year!
If you want to get in touch to discuss this role further leave me your details. I’ve personally done the relocation from Dublin in the past 6 months.
Please check glassdoor.com and search for Senior Software Developer in Amsterdam for guidance around salary.